Saturday, March 21, 2009

Are You Sick of Baby Hats Too?

I'm getting kind of sick of baby hats. Yes, they are instant gratification, but knitting a hat a day or one every day and a half is getting a little old. I'd like to intersperse them with other knitting, but I just can't take the time. Not when the other team is pulling so far ahead! Does anyone have any good speedy hat patterns that they would like to share? Mostly I'm using up my supply of worsted weight yarn. I seem to have a lot of single skeins and those hats go pretty fast.


Are you ready for a bit of random? I promised some photos of my spinning a while back. Here it is.... The Sandstone from Ashland Bay Co. - it's 70/30 merino and silk. It was also my first attempt at Navajo plying. Overall I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. I have a few sections that are overspun, but mostly it came out very nice. It's thicker than I had intended it to be, but that was because I forgot that Navajo plying gives you 3 plys instead of 2. Extreme close up.

I'm really happy with the colors in this yarn. I was worried about them becoming too muddy, but I think the pastels really held up well.

More random... someone from work was getting rid of 21 skeins of Debbie Bliss merino aran in a mossy green color and a very light tan. Theoretically it should be enough to make Adam a sweater. I'm having a hard time finding a pattern that he likes and that I would enjoy making. He saw a zip up cabled cardigan in Elizabeth Zimmerman's Opinionated Knitter that he thinks he might like. I am a little worried about
1. whether there is enough yarn in the green since I think that a 2 color cabled cardigan might look a little odd and
2. if I can follow the pattern. I did a swatchcap as EZ recommends and that worked out well enough. I like that there is very little seaming involved in her patterns. The problem, of course, is that she is just so darn vague. The women in the yarn shop assure me that if I can do cabeling (which I can) and if I've done a baby surprise sweater without issues (which I have) I can do any EZ pattern. And of course that I can always go in and ask for help if it's needed.

The stomach flu has hit both girls this week (we cancelled Lily's birthday party that was scheduled for this afternoon). So I'm going to enjoy the fact that my house is fairly clean and just sit and knit and maybe even nap. Happy Random Saturday.

No comments: