Sunday, June 1, 2008

The Glitter Knitter

Wouldn't you know it? I went to see The Glitter Knitter yesterday and I forgot my camera! For those of you who don't know who he is, Steven Berg owns (co-owns with his sister) the Yarn Garage in Rosemont MN. He is FAB-U-LOUS! He is a designer, knitter and cheerleader for all of us knitters. Steven told us a lot about his life and his theories of knitting, including "there are no mistakes, only variations." He also taught a little bit of modular knitting out of your stash. Who couldn't do a bit of stash busting now and again?

He brought a huge selection of yarn and knitted items for us to peruse. I ended up completely blowing my yarn budget out of the water. But there was TILLI THOMAS yarn there. LOTS of Tilli Thomas. And the patterns, whoooo-weee there were amazing patterns. I did restrain myself in a couple of areas, namely that I bought a pattern for a fantastic shrug, but I didn't buy the yarn. I know I can get a similar yarn much cheaper at my LYS. I took pictures of my yarn haul but I have to wait to get those on the blog. My laptop doesn't like to talk to my camera anymore. :(

Oh yeah, another cool thing about Steven? He has the Yarn Garage Charity Knitting Gang. They make baby hats and donate them in the Twin Cities area. This is a project that's near and dear to my heart since I coordinate the baby hat knitting efforts of the Duluth Noon Optimist Club. The Yarn Garage put together little pink bags of yarn together with a pattern to knit beehive hats for babies. I snagged one for myself and someone else gave me theirs, so I'll be whipping those up shortly. They're adorably cute.

Coming Soon...
Photos of my yarn haul (aka. yarn p*rn)
Photos of my frogged Fake Isle Hat and the story to accompany it
Photos of my Be Sweet-Be Mine scarf (a Jess original)

1 comment:

Knittymuggins said...

Wow - sounds like so much fun!! Restraint? So not fun ;) I love that quote "no mistakes, only variations". Totally.

Uh oh. Frogged Fake Isle? I hope it wasn't disastrous!!

knittymuggins