Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Vote Please!

I need some help. I am making a baby blanket for my older sister who is pregnant with a girl. Do you think this would be a good color for a lace baby blanket?

The sister in question is a bit picky with colors. For instance, I didn't buy bright red Cascade 220 because "babies get too irritated by bright colors." This is also the sister whose oldest child didn't wear the yellow shrug I made for her because "she didn't have anything that matched."

Also, I wanted to make sure it was superwash because I didn't want her to felt a lace blanket accidentally. I didn't get acrylic because if they have a fire the acrylic melts vs. wool which is self-extinguishing.

Whew, this is nerve-wracking. I know I should just go to Baby Gap and spend a ton of money on a blanket that was made (cheaply) in China. However, I really want to make something for my new neice. So please, leave votes and opinions in the comments. :)

8 comments:

D Beltt said...

I think it is great yarn. Maybe when you are done you could sew a Baby Gap tag onto it! Okay... just kidding.

Lisa said...

I think it is a great choice, but if she is that picky, think about Regia silk sock yarn. They ahve some beautiful soft colors and she wouldn't be able to felt it. Either way, she should be more appreciative and a little less picky....IMHO

Anonymous said...

I like it...but the oldest is a bit crazy...you just never know with her! This is also the girl that told mom that the quilt she was planning for the baby just wasn't right!

Elizabeth Spinner said...

Do you know what theme the nursery is being done in? That might help in the color selection. Or, what fabric does the carseat have? You also might consider Swish Superwash from KnitPicks. Or, the Crayon line is cotton and machine washable and very soft on the skin.

I just had another idea; if she's fussy about things matching, buy an outfit or crib sheet set that matches the yarn and give them together.

Jess P. said...

You guys are so smart! Thank you! I might just sew a Gap tag onto it and buy a matching crib sheet. HA!

Miss Me said...

i think it would make a beautiful blanket, but i'm with lisa about the fact that maybe your sister should be a little less picky! i no longer knit ANYTHING for my mother for this very reason. my grandmother? sure - she appreciates things!

Anonymous said...

Go for it honey!! It will go nicely with the quilt colors and she'll think we coordinated it!! We could even add the Gap tag!! Plus it will match Alyssa's room.

Lynn said...

I like the yarn. Is it soft? That might be another deal breaker for your sister. However it might not matter as much as long as it matches. I agree with some of the other comments, get an outfit that will match the blanket, but according to your mom, it will match the room (so at least it will be displayed).

I think your best bet with this sister is to knit only in pinks and lavenders so that whatever you knit will match outfits.